Quote:
It appears to me that Emphatic just gets out of the way when the player menu is entered, and has no knowledge beyond that the menu is active.
(sorry for the thread hijack!)

Well, sorta. emphatic does just "get out of the way" when you select the player menu from within. I don't have any "hooks" into what menu items are selected. The best I can sometimes do is select a specifc menu item on behalf of the user. An example of this is when you switch display modes, and emphatic switches visuals for you. This was no easy task, either, but I managed to come up with a kooky but reasonably reliable way to walk the menu structure, assuming I know exactly what menu item I'm going for in advance.

It seems like what you want is basically a representation of the player menu on some external display, and the ability to navigate that reliably with an external input device. I don't think emphatic is going to be the ticket to that. Unless I came up with some way of screen-scraping the player menu itself, which is way too tedious for something that wouldn't really help many other people out.

Have you found the external display threads in the Projects forum yet? A few people were working on a microcontroller of some type that would drive a graphical external display, and show an *actual* copy of the player screen on it (or some subset of it.) Do some searches, that seems more like what you want. But if you're dead set on using your character-based display, I'm not sure what the solution is.