As others have pointed out, pursuing a "correct" version of tagging data is a very personal proposition. I make some very deliberate choices when I tag my music that others may not agree with. Some examples:

- On two-disc sets, I do not treat them as separate discs, instead I merge them into one big album. The tracks from the second disc are renumbered accordingly (two discs with twelve tracks each become one big album with tracks numbered 1-24).

- On greatest hits compilations, I change the year for each track on the album to match the year that track was released.

- All artists are tagged as they are read, so "The Beatles" are tagged as such. Some people choose to change this to "Beatles, The" or just "Beatles" for easier searching. I also do not put last names before first, so "Peter Gabriel" is tagged just so.

...and so on. These are all choices that I've made, and that others may disagree with. And that's the fundamental flaw I see with current freedb type services, is that they try to be one-size fits all. If there was just a bit more analysis done to the data, the tags could be adjusted on-the-fly to meet the preferences of the individual user. I think that really is the way to take central tagging to the next level.

--Dan.