Quote:
I’ve been working to create metal buttons to match our new fascias. The goal is aluminum with a finish of polished, brushed, or anodized. I need a reality check, though, because I’ve been staring at the many options for too long. Please let me know if you have any interest, preference, opinions, feedback, or ideas.

Definately interested - not at any price tho

Quote:

First, the four buttons, since they are definite. There will be a colored lighting option available, and I’ll have prototype pictures up this weekend. The colors may be user changeable using the same metal buttons.

Here are the processes. Each has good and bad things, but check out the last option; painting plastic. I’m starting to like that more and more.

Investment Casting -
Good: Very good detail, not too expensive.
Bad: Not ready till April or May, maybe not even possible.

Plaster Casting -
Good: Ready before April, good detail.
Bad: Expensive.

Machining -
Good: Ready before April, not too expensive?, possibility for a new knob.
Bad: Rough detail?, may be very heavy?

Painting Plastic Parts -
Good: Perfect detail, very affordable, MANY options.
Bad: Not ready till April, not real aluminum, may wear off?, may bind with fascia.

As to the casting processes I have no idea. Machining with a good high speed (rpm) mill should be able to give a finish far smoother than the stock plastic parts... doubt they'd be too heavy - unless made of lead or depleted uranium.

Painting... nah... real metal is sooo preferable... Unless it's the only economically realistic option and the durability is good enough.

Quote:

The knobs are less definite. We could have the originals, a lit modification of the originals (prototypes soon), a recreation of 303’s NewKnob, or an entirely new design. The originals would be cast or painted plastic while the new design would be machined. I have to do more work to find the most cost effective solution.

I really like my 303 "Gatlin style" knob in black (don't know how many, if any other at all, were made - specifically asked for asked for this mod to the original (as seen on his web pages)) with semicurcular fairly deep cutouts along the perimeter between each of the holes for light (I'll see if I can dig up the drawing I sent to Tim when I asking if it could be done, as well as a pic...), it gives better grip than the smooth design and IMO a bit more interesting - find the smooth design a skosh boring. But AFAIUI these knobs would be bigger in diameter than 303s. so it might not look good at all, but open for completely different designs
Quote:

Thanks again for any input. Check back in the next few days for photos of prototypes.