Quote:
Ahh.. SWMBO had some such similar complaint -- it's the new X.org keyboard stuff that's different.

Hmm... you're right. Comparing it to SuSE 9.3, which also uses X.org, the SuSE layout configuration window actually has an entry for "Dvorak" in the "Available layouts" list, nestled between "Dutch" and "Dzongkha/Tibetan". So really, the behaviour is the same -- I can only have one US English entry in SuSE, as well -- it's just that the Dvorak entry I'm accustomed to using has disappeared, and I was trying to get it back by using the same entry twice, with different configurations. Poking around in /etc/X11/xkb shows a dvorak option on SuSE -- I'll look for it next time I'm near the laptop.

Quote:
She wanted to switch between standard and international ("accent keys") layouts on the fly, so we figured out a way to do it. Here's her cookie crumb trail:

My thanks to you and your SWMBO for the cookie crumb trail. Perhaps all I need to do is copy over the dvorak related files from the SuSE machine (I like being able to click the flag icon, since half the time it's my girlfriend that wants to be able to type, and I don't want to make her remember some arcane shortcut). If that fails, I'll be following the cookie crumb trail.