Honestly, I disagree with you about the "genius" part, but I understand your point in general. As such, I have no truck with the people who knew exactly what he was saying and acted like ignorami anyway. And there is some truth to the notion that you can show these people for what they really are by pretending you have no idea what they're talking about or agree with them or whatever. But I don't think we really needed to be informed about fratboys. (Not that I'm defending them or their case; it's just neither insightful nor funny.) The Pat Robertson stuff? Sure.

But I do have a problem with misleading those people who have no idea what you're talking about. And those people weren't shown as themselves, they were paid to do things they wouldn't normally do, without being told how they were being represented.

And, to speak to a specific point, how was he supposed to know that a silicone fist was a sex toy? I'm sure the majority of people in the US wouldn't know, much less someone living in poverty in Romania.