Au contraire. I have very few reasons to hate the Patriots. They're in the AFC, so my Eagles see them maybe once every 2-3 years. Other than the arrogant prick Belichick, there aren't that many "hateable" players on the team. Yes, everyone roots for the underdog, and the Pats have been a very strong team for many years, but in my case at least, the cheating is definitely what's caused me to dislike the franchise.

Maybe we just see things differently here. I don't think that, just because "everyone" supposedly cheats, that it's acceptable to throw your arms up and let them. If there is that much cheating going on, then the NFL isn't doing its job of policing the teams.

I've never bought the "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying" line. Fans live and die for their teams, pay hundreds of dollars on tickets, etc. and the thought that all of a team's effort could be wasted because the other team is doing a better job of cheating makes me sick. Nevermind the fact that people are wagering on these games, and could be losing money because one team gets away with breaking the rules of the game.

I don't know anyone who's saying that the Patriots got where they are now just because they spied the defensive signals. But until proof comes out that all of the other teams are doing the same thing, I do know that it gave them an unfair advantage. Without the cheating they would have definitely been on the cusp of greatness, but it's certainly within the realm of reason that it's the cheating that pushed them over the edge to near perfection for so many years.

In this case, the NFL chose to do a half-assed investigation and destroy the evidence of the cheating afterwards. Remember, kids, "it's not the crime, it's the cover-up."

If every other franchise is cheating, then let's find that out too, and punish them. The rules are there for a reason. I don't think this practice is as widespread as you do, but if it is, let's clean it up. I love the sport enough to want to see it won by players and coaches on the field, and not some scout sitting in the stands stealing signs.

Edited by tonyc (04/02/2008 13:40)