Originally Posted By: wfaulk
But the part I don't get is "a complete lack of hope and joy". WTF does that have to do with relating a plot or having compelling characters or telling a story or anything else literary or cinematic? There is a long tradition in the field of literature that you might have heard of. It's called "tragedy". Look it up sometime.

Wow, that was patronizing. I was trying to keep my responses short for once, so I apologize for not expanding on my point. I also felt I had already discussed my opinion on this in another thread, so I'm sorry if you didn't see that.

Here's a train of thought as an example of what I mean (sorry, I'm tired and I'm not sure how to explain this):

Almost every main character on the show does not enjoy having their powers. How emo are the writers of this show? All these people with amazing abilities and all they do is complain non-stop. Actually, there are only three characters in the whole series that I can think of that truly enjoy having their abilities: one is Claire's short-term boyfriend, and he was written off pretty quickly. Next is Micah, who was encouraged to not use his powers, and has since been practically written off for no reason that I can see (frankly, I'd much rather see his story than have another second of any of Ali Larter's characters). Then the last is Hiro. Oh, Hiro, what have they done to you? Aside from Peter, it's arguable that he had the best power of anyone, and look what they've done with the character. They spent the entire first season giving him tremendous personal growth, and have spent every episode since then turning him into a clown and an utter failure.

And don't give me this "tragedy" crap. The episodes of this show are not Shakespeare. When they sent Hiro back in time and had him reconnect with his mother, it was really well done. Then, in an almost comical way, they had Arthur pop in, steal Hiro's power, and pop out again. I think it took about five seconds. That's not compelling, it's not saying anything, and it's just frustratingly annoying because they had just essentially done the exact same thing a few episodes before, so what were we supposed to get out of that?

Anyway, go ahead and tear this assessment apart too. Try not to be so patronizing though. That was uncalled for.

I'll just sum up by saying it once again: every issue that Heroes is stumbling through with a heavy hand, The 4400 explored with a good deal of insight. That show had its problems, but at least it actually had some things to say, and didn't feel the need to actually say them out loud in a ridiculous narrative (and yes, I can see it's an attempt at something "comic book-eque," but that doesn't mean it works).

So thanks for making up my mind, I'll be happy to dump Heroes from my Tivo. If anyone on this board eventually tells me that the show suddenly greatly improved, I'll think about going back and catching up, but I think the chances of that are unlikely.