Originally Posted By: tfabris
Hm. I like how the AR Xsight remote has those four colored buttons that correspond to the four colored buttons on the DirecTV remote.

How does the Harmony One handle those four colored buttons?

The Harmony One uses the touch display to generate those, when the particular device needs them. At present they display as a std blue rectangle with white text. Not as a colored rectangle.

Many remotes have a lot more functions than the H1 has hard keys for. All other functions wind up on the touch screen. Six at a time, so there can be a lot of paging to get to a specific function.

The buttons on the H1 are mostly equal to those found on a Tivo peanut, just not as well laid out.

Ergonomically it needs some work. Too many of the buttons are crowded too near the bottom. It's difficult to one hand it, and press the numbers, enter and clear buttons.

Programming it is pretty easy, You ID all the devices you have, then define activities (watch tivo)(watch bluray). That is all done on-line via a client. The results are transferred to the remote via usb.

The net result is that when an activity is selected (watch tivo) the right stuff turns on, inputs are chosen... then all the remotes buttons are programmed in a mix and match mode. Some control the tivo, others the tv, or home theater rcvr...

At anytime you can set the remote to a particular device, which again resets how all the buttons and touch screen are defined, devoting them all to the particular device.

The one area I'm vexed by is the narrow field of emission of the ir sender. It's only a problem with my plasma tv. My Tivo peanut has no problem with off axis activation of tv functions. The H1 has to be pointed directly at the tv's IR port.

Some activities, require 5-6 seconds of stability while the macros unwind. If a deflection causes a device to miss a pulse, things don't work as expected. I can deal with that. My parents can NOT.

To be sure this is the best of all universal remotes I've used. With the exception of the narrow field of emission.