I should have been clearer in my macros v activities, as I was focusing more on discrete codes, because I fortunately have those codes for my devices. But I cannot argue against discrete codes being uncommon, which completely baffles me. What baffles me even more is when companies like Sony put the codes in their devices and then give users no way of using them. What's keeping them from shipping a remote with at least separate power buttons? No, instead I have to go to a web site I use, cobble together a string of codes, enter that string into a hex code generator I have, and then paste that hex code into my Pronto software. Thank goodness I only have to do it once!

I will argue with one thing, Bitt, and that's your macro example under "with discrete codes." Why on earth can't you include a "power off" command for the DVD player? If you do, I think you can see for yourself that when discrete codes are used, there are no differences between macros and activities, except for what happens when they fail, in which case I claim that macros have the advantage, because you can describe exact states for your devices.

And say your DVD player is the only device you have without discrete codes. If you think about it, any macro that uses discrete codes can use a maximum of one toggle command.

I must admit, it's gotten to the point where my purchasing decisions for new home theater equipment includes the requirement that it have discrete codes, and considering that equipment like my TV and receiver get at least two signals from me every session, I don't think that's unreasonable.