Originally Posted By: mlord
Though I suppose a simpler Thomson modem might be more appropriate/cheaper for that kind of setup.

Unfortunately Mark, as well as the Thomson's various other problems (including forgetting to hand out dhcp responses after a few days up time), it also isn't coping too well with basic routing.

After a few hours of heavy load (bittorrent), it starts to get crappy at routing traffic. Even when you stop the heavy traffic it takes it a long time to start routing other traffic sensibly, with tcp handshakes timing out. A reboot of the router or waiting an hour of so fixes it.

This is with the BT traffic restricted to 70% of the total available bandwidth (restricted on the PC doing the BT). All other routers that I have used have been able to cope with this level of BT traffic (with NAT off at least, many consumer level routers can't cope with that much BT traffic while also managing NAT sessions).

I think this is due to it trying to do some QoS shaping, but it is far from clear how to turn its QoS queues off.

I really haven't had a good time with it frown

Edited by andy (21/05/2009 14:30)