Originally Posted By: maczrool
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Okay. Just to be clear, can you explicitly say that you think that the ability to not die of cancer — hell, the flu — should be reserved for the wealthy?

No that is not my position. Your example is a bit of a hyperbole though.

I don't feel like I responded to this adequately.

There are a variety of illnesses that are easily detectable and treatable in their presymptomatic stages, but become difficult to treat and potentially fatal once someone notices that there's something wrong. Prostate cancer, for example.

Since the uninsured poor cannot afford to see a doctor on a regular basis for a checkup, those illnesses fester until they are huge problems.

And affording is not limited to the cost of the doctor. Free clinics tend to have huge waiting lines, and, while I'm sure that they would be happy to provide an exam to patients, changes are that they are going to spend a full day at the clinic, if not more, in order to get it done. These uninsured poor people are far more likely to be working jobs for low hourly wages, which means that they're also losing money by going to the doctor. It can honestly sometimes be a decision between healthcare and food.

If they had insurance, though, they could schedule an appointment with a doctor for a specific time, one likely to be closer to their home or workplace than wherever the free clinic is, and only lose an hour or two of pay.

So, to repeat, are you saying that the poor should die because they can't afford to get screened for preventable illnesses?