Originally Posted By: Dignan
Ehhh...not to contribute anything useful to this thread, but package tracking on USPS is the worst. Every single time I order something online and it ships USPS with a "tracking" number, all I get when I go to their site is three-stage tracking.

OK, here is the final tracking list, from shipping info to delivery.

1) Shipping info received
2) Package received by USPS 3/18/2010 at 3:52 in Laredo, Tx
3) Package sorted 3/20/2010 at 3:37 pm in Anchorage, AK
4) Package arrived 3/22/2010 at 4:06 am in Fairbanks, AK
5) Package delivered to recipient 3/22/2010 at 8:37 am in Fairbanks, AK

At any time in the process I could have spent 26 seconds to find out the exact current progress, but did not need to do so because I received emails at each step along the way. (I won't check that box again, though, it is distracting to have my mailbox loaded up with all those messages!)

How much more information do you need or would even be useful? I can't imagine that knowing the VIN # of the vehicle carrying the package, or the shoe size of the driver would be helpful. You know when and where the package entered the system, when it arrived at [the only] two intermediate stops on the way, and when it was delivered. I was notified by email four hours after it was in the hands of the recipient. Am I missing something here?

USPS provides service comparable (or superior to) the competition at a fraction (less than 1/10th in this case) of the cost, yet people just take it for granted that because it is associated with the Government it is no good.

I confess I have difficulty understanding this attitude.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
tracking.jpg