The Apple TV is a movie and TV rental box. That's it. 1080p is too bandwidth intensive for them to stream in high quality. I suspect it's also too much for the A4 chip to handle since it doesn't have silicon dedicated to that task.

Apple will compete and do so well because of their market presence and brand. I will buy a Boxee Box when it comes out, but even with my sale, I'd be surprised if they could pull off even 5% of Apple's sales. Google might fare better, but I don't have high hopes for them either in this market.

I think Apple is going to move a lot more boxes than they did with the previous generations. I don't know if they've done enough to jump it out of Hobby class though.

And back to the iPod... Everyone wishes that the iPod touch had a GPS. Well, everyone except TomTom and Garmin of course. Apple might not have wanted to dedicate any internal space for the AGPS receiver, or it might strictly be based on iPhone differentiation.

This thing is, at the very least, going to put a huge dent in the sales of pocket HD video recorders. Nice to be able to send the video over WiFi so you can then clean out your flash and record more video.

Edited by hybrid8 (01/09/2010 17:12)