I posted the following on a message board for home automation. I'm currently replacing my X10 system with Z-Wave products, and everything was going fine until I got to the 3-way switches. Can anyone here give some advice?

------------------------------

I'm in urgent need of assistance with my 3-way switch install (GE's 3-way Z-Wave product). I have everything out and I want to install it right before I put it back!

Here's the deal. The instructions don't match what my home has. At both ends of my current 3-way switches, out of the wall I have two black wires, one red, and a bare ground. The instructions say that on one end, I'll have only three wires, one black, one colored, and a ground. Clearly, I have a wire that's unaccounted for. On the other end, on the "primary switch," I have five wires and only four in the wall, so I even have an extra wire on that end.

I currently have a 3-way X10 switch installed. Those switches actually never had a ground (which has always made me nervous), and they have two black wires and one blue one. They matched my homes wiring correctly in that regard, that both ends were the same. How do I do this?

I even called GE's support line and they weren't very helpful. He mentioned something about how I have to have a "single pole location" or something. I don't know enough about wiring to be familiar with that term.