Here's the setup: I've got a Dell PC with a ATI Radeon HD 4xxx in it, running Windows Media Center 7. That is connected to a Pioneer AV receiver with HDMI, used for HDMI switching. That's connected to a Samsung LE32something LCD TV (which only has a single HDMI input).

Here's the problem: Often, after some combination of turning off the TV and the receiver, Windows Media Center forgets that it's supposed to be displaying anything. When you turn the TV back on, there's just a blank, black screen. It doesn't look like a simple HDMI problem (like I used to have with my older, cheap HDMI switch), because the mouse cursor still appears, but doesn't do anything.

To recover, I have to grab the keyboard, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then hit Log Off. Logging back on fixes it. Until next time. I suspect that WMC is getting confused about screen resomolutions when the HDMI connection goes away, and this results in the blank screen.

Questions: Has anyone else here seen this? Do you think it's a WMC problem? Is it because my graphics card is bonkers-old? Or is it an inherent problem with HDMI? How do I fix it? Would removing the AV receiver from the picture (by buying a new TV with more HDMI inputs) fix it? Not that I can afford that right now, but...