Originally Posted By: hybrid8
There's not a single box, with any amount of hacking, that does it all...

Exactly. Like Bruno said, you have to pick the box that matches your needs. The entire reason I picked the Boxee Box was that it's by far the best device for playing back local, "acquired" content. But when Plex was released for Google TV, I determined it was a good enough alternative for my very glitchy Boxee Box.

Now I used Google TV, but I still don't have everything in one box. I still use my Boxee for vudu, which is fantastic and isn't on Google TV for some reason. My wife is also more comfortable with the Boxee interface for watching local stuff.

I also agree with Bruno that none of these boxes is any good for music playback, and I'll add home movies to that.

Frankly, I've always thought the best feature of the Apple TV is as a photo display device. It does a phenomenal job at that, but I haven't used it over a network, just from the hard drive of a rev 1 box.

For the average Joe, though, I still recommend the same thing: if you ever use iTunes or have Apple products, get an Apple TV. Otherwise, get a Roku.

But this thread isn't for an average Joe. I'm not sure what the answer is, Roger, but from what I've played around with so far, the Boxee Box has the best codec support.