Originally Posted By: mlord
(2) more horsepower to cope with a faster broadband internet connection.

Our cable internet here bursts at 50+ mbits/sec, which will double to 100+ mbits/sec sometime in the next 6 months or so. The WRT54GL *might* (?) struggle with that depending upon other features enabled at the same time.

Yes, actually one of the reasons I decided to upgrade, at home, from the WRT54G to the E3200 is that the WRT54G (v. 2.2, Tomato 1.28) would occasionally crash and require a reboot. My very uneducated guess (I never looked into the problem as I was not particularly bothered, my home network being mostly wired and depending on other network devices) was that the issue was caused by workload, as at some point I started too to transfer large AV files via wireless. Which also made the "N" protocol appealing.

In this very moment I am again using the WRT54G as I moved it here in my parents' house in the mountain, where we're currently staying, and it seems to be working fine, which seems to support my idea that workload (much lower here) may be indeed affecting the device reliability.

Actually, I can't find CPU load in Tomato. Is it there? I remember DD-WRT does expose real-time CPU load in the GUI, so I'll probably put DD-WRT on it...

Quote:

The triple antennas (built-in) in the new router also seem to help a bit with signal quality, offset by them being "built-in" rather than external.

Interestingly, this WRT54G was always quite good in terms of signal reach, and even here, in a very old house, two floors, very thick walls (1m or more in some places!) signal is great everywhere... I am quite impressed, I have to say.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg