Ugh. I'm pretty disappointed by this. I mean, I was always curious how their business model worked (10 computers with unlimited storage AND version history for $150/year), and I guess the answer is "it doesn't."

Now I'm looking into all the alternatives so I can know what to recommend to my clients, to whom I've recommended Crashplan for years now. Clearly, it's good that they're letting subscriptions run their course and giving another two months, but it's still annoying.

I'm still not a fan of Carbonite. There's just something about it. I think the software is the main thing. I really can't stand it. It gives you almost zero control over what gets backed up. Crashplan had so many ways to tweak everything. It was great.

I'm currently looking at iDrive, which appears to support Linux but I'll leave that to those of you who know Linux.

Comparing these services is really apples and oranges. Many of them have completely different pricing from each other and handle users/computers/storage allocation very differently. Even just within iDrive. It gives 2TB for as many computers as you want, but just one user, for about $60/year. Then for $75/year you only get 250GB, but shared with unlimited users.

One of my favorite things about Crashplan was that it was a good fit for almost all of my clients. Whether they had 1 or 5 computers, or even if they didn't want cloud storage.