Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: Roger
fwiw, there's an iDrive app for Synology (on my DS416, anyway), which might sway some people.

It might indeed. Do you mean that it could use my NAS as the primary storage, like Time Machine can? Or do you mean that it backs up my NAS to their cloud? It's hard to tell which of those it is, based on their page.

The former is useful to me, the latter is not. If the former, I wonder if their free version would allow that (i.e., they only would charge a subscription for their cloud storage). Can't easily tell from looking at their web site.

What he's talking about is an app on the NAS its self that backs up the data on the NAS to the cloud.

However, I just checked and I can confirm that, with the Windows app at least, it's possible to back up to any local or network drive for free. I'm liking this application.

So far, the only thing iDrive doesn't do that Crashplan does is the ability to back up to other computers running the software for free. I have a couple clients backing up this way. One client has three locations and doesn't want to use the cloud, so he has all the computers in his organization backing up to a machine in is home. I can't quite tell, but it looks like these free capabilities are going away too, so I'm going to need to figure something else out for him. He's kind of cheap, so I don't think he'll be up for buying a Synology.

Edited by Dignan (24/08/2017 01:10)