Originally Posted By: Dignan
Now I'm looking into all the alternatives...
As am I.

I have used CrashPlan as my backup system for some time now, on the recommendations of the people here. I never cared for it. No doubt I am a paranoid Luddite, but having that program ticking away in the background without my continuing direct control over what it was doing and when it was doing it just...wasn't the way I was used to doing things. And the setup and user interface was (to me with my limited computer geekiness) a nightmare. BTW, I used the Free version, backing up locally, not the Cloud version despite CrashPlan's frequent exhortations to do otherwise. With my tin-can-and-string internet service, it would take me nine and a half months 24-hours a day to back up my data to the Cloud.

The type of backup system I want is what I used to be able to do with Karen's Replicator, which sadly is not compatible with Windows 10. I could specify exactly which files in which directories on which drives I wanted to back up into which destinations. I could set the backups to be either on a schedule, or to do them when I decided I needed to. The backups were un-encrypted, in file trees and filenames that duplicated the original sources, so I didn't need special software (i.e., CrashPlan) for retrieval. Crude, inefficient, but simple enough that even I could understand and manage it.

Now I'm looking to set up something similar to what I had before CrashPlan. So far, my best candidate is the "File History" backup program built into Windows 10. Does anyone here have experience with this program?

tanstaafl.