Too true. Sure, I've also only played in stores, but I can't imagine the test audience had the controllers in their hands that long either. Supposedly Microsoft did do some testing to find out what people prefered, and came up with that! I think they're insane. The buttons feel wierd, the controller is huge, it's just terrible.

I like the GamCube controller, but I think it's the opposite of what you were complaining about, Tony. I think it needs some similar buttons on it. "A" is huge and there's a little "b" beside it. Then those buttons encircling them. I think they needed at least two similar buttons next to each other. It seems that when a new system gets designed, the manufacturers say "there were some complaints about the last system's controller. so lets throw away everything, including the things people actually liked, and start again from scratch." I thought the N64 controllers were pretty good, especially the button layout. I can't imagine any other layout for the Zelda games. (speaking of the Zelda games, don't let this thread get off topic, start a new one to rant about Nintendo's ridiculous redesign for Link )