I have been doing a lot of lyric tagging with the SYLT plugin lately, and it's working quite well.

However, I've got the following things that I'm having to work around on each and every song. Because I know these things and I'm used to them, I'm able to successfully deal with them. But you might want to have a look at them:

1. The first character of the next input gets eaten if you've just used control-downarrow.

I've now confirmed that this issue, reported by SRhodes in another thread, is definitely the case. After you press control-downarrow, the next thing you type (including the opening bracket of a timestamp if you're in click-as-you-sing mode) will get eaten.

Since it's a known bug, I'm sure you'll find an easy fix for it in the next release.

2. I have to keep hitting "Reformat Lyrics".

If I change the number of lines in a song by adding or removing carriage returns, I have to hit "reformat lyrics". This is known, and you already said you'd consider changing the program behavior.

But I also keep having to hit "Reformat Lyrics" when I add new timestamps. In edit mode, as I'm tagging the song, I often need to scan back a bit and retag a section. I want to use that little white bar on the left edge to find my position in the song. But I can't do that without hitting "Reformat lyrics" because the underlying grid never got updated with the previous timestamp clicks.

Is there any way that the act of clicking to place a timestamp can put the appropriate time index into the underlying grid? Without having to do a full reformat?

3. The time of playback gets gradually desynchronized from the lyric tag.

Earlier I said that this was not a problem when editing the lyric, only when playing it back. I'm now pretty sure that the problem exists in both places. And I think I know why it wasn't a big problem for me:

The act of pausing the song, stopping it, or starting the song in a different place by dragging the playback marker, will temporarily fix the desynchronization and the temporal drift will restart from that moment.

I'm pretty sure we came to the conclusion that this was a WinAmp thing. WinAmp itself has temporal drift if it's dealing with a sound card driver that converts sampling rate between 44.1 and 48 khz. The act of stopping playback resets the "zero point" for the audio driver.

Since I'm always pausing and making little corrections in my tagging passes, then the temporal drift is minimized. So in edit mode I don't tend to notice the problem as much. But in playback mode, you can see it because you're not stopping and starting as much.

I find that the only way I can get around the temporal drift is to pause and restart the song approximately every verse and chorus.

This is a pretty serious issue, because I've downloaded songs from the LRCDB which are badly drifted. When playing back on the empeg (which doesn't have the drift problem like Winamp does), they start off OK and then as the song goes on, the drift gets worse and worse until in the last verse the lyrics are a couple lines off. I have to hand-correct these by retagging them with my pause-each-verse trick.

On those lyrics, it's clear that the guy doing the original tagging never stopped and started. He just went Play, click... click... click... click... submit, and never checked his work with mid-song pauses and such.

There's gotta be something that can be done about this? Some way of knowing when WinAmp is going to exhibit this problem, and correct for it? Or perhaps figure out what the offset is (is it just 44.1 divided by 48?), and just have an optional checkbox in the configuration to automatically compensate for the drift? It could reset the drift compensation to zero each time the song playback is paused/stopped or its time index gets changed manually.