I just got back from taking a new test drive of the new Hummer H2, which for those of your just tuning in, is a civiliian only model hummer produced in conjunction with GM and marketed by GM.

My sister rolled the family bronco last week on a rural road after a blowout, and after doing a complete 360 back to upright, came out with a scratch on the back of her head that didn't even require stiches. If they were still selling them new, I suspect we'd have the new model by now...

So, being in the market for a new Real SUV, we decided to make the trip to test drive the latest and greatest offering the H2, and I was suitably impressed at what they've done... The ride is as smooth as a sedan all the way up to 80mph on the freeway, but the thing is massive, and unfortunatly has small windows which make visitibility dificult. It's got far more room inside than an orginal hummer, and has all the creature comforts you'd expect in a $50,000 SUV. They've kept true to the hummer brand, and it looks to be a very competent 4 wheel drive, with very low gearing options, and high ground clearance. They lack the ability to inflate and deflate the tires from inside the vehicle, but for half the price of the orginal, something's gotta go.

I'm sold, and hoping that my dad is too, as I'd love to be able to steal it on weekends when I come home to visit....

Matthew