Exactly. One of the great things, in my mind, about the English language is the number of words avaliable, each of which carries its own slightly different meaning. But if the definitions become muddied, then all of those words start to mean the exact same thing, simply because people are too lazy to try to make a distinction.

Oh, and, by the way, the last thing I wanted to do is make fun of CanuckInLA, which is why I was trying to speak in a more generalized manner before Peter stuck his big, fat nose in (j/k). I would like him, as well as everyone else, to think more about how they say things and the words they use, though.

So, Canuck, I'm sorry. I didn't really intend for this to become a big stink. In no way do I think you're an idiot, either on your own, or because of your word choice. Everyone does it, so it'd be stupid for me to single you out. But any change for the better I can make (even if it's thinking about it and totally disagreeing with me) is one step in the right direction.

Edit: Oops. It's CanuckInLA, not matthew_k. And it was pointed out to me by someone that this apology seems to come out of nowhere, and he was right. The last thing I want to do, as I said, is piss anyone off. So I might as well try my best to avoid that. And this was my attempt.

Edit edit: Well, I might intend to piss someone off (in general, but not in this case), but I definitely don't want to drive him away.

Edited by wfaulk (21/08/2002 11:24)