I definitely have to agree with Bitt on this issue. I've even seen store names with terms like "very unique" inside them. When you start making grammatical errors in store names, we know that people have let the grammar slip.

Bitt, you are very justified. My mother works as an editor/researcher for National Geographic, and has done so for the last 28 years. If an author said that something was "really unique", she would call him to:
a) tell him that the phrase is incorrect
b) find out if the item is one-of-a-kind or not, then determine if unique is the word they want or not

If there was something a story described as "unique" in National Geographic that turned out to not be so, they would get countless letters. Believe me, people send in letters for the smallest details.

I agree that something like the style of the Hummer can be described as unique. There are no other cars that look anything like the Hummer except for other Hummers. Therefore the style is just plain unique, but not really unique.

And in case you're wondering, yes, as a child my school papers were always covered in red ink