However, I think that the Corvette vs Suburban argument might hold even in the face of your logic.
It might, and I hope that it does. My fear, again, is that the Porsche management will fail to see the SUV market as a simple cash cow and start to ignore the sports car market. I'm sure that their SUV profits will far outstrip their sports car profits, and that is hard to ignore. I would like to have thought that they are performance enthusiasts, but the Boxster pretty much removed that idea from my head, but at least it was still fun to drive, which is certainly the true objective of a sports car in many people's minds.

I almost wish that the Cayenne weren't as good a performer as it is (and I'm taking your word on that), as then it might have been someone else's SUV design onto which a Porsche badge had been slapped, and they hadn't had their engineers working on it at the expense of the 911. But that might make my prior prediction even more true.

I don't know if Porsche was in dire financial straits, but I just don't think that building an SUV was a good long-term choice even if it was a good short-term one.

(BTW, how many 911 GT2s do you suppose they sell? It can't be many.)