You know, that particular link is such a poor example.
Despite all the NHS bashing that goes on over there, I prefer it to the system over here.

The point is that this is converting National Insurance into a stealth income tax, as it will be charged as an uncapped percentage of income (currently it is capped on the first £30K ish). I would be less aggrieved if I didn't have to buy almost ALL of the NI services privately because the state versions are hopeless.

Healthcare - I would use emergency room service, but have private cover for most in patient and out patient care. I spent several weeks in an NHS ward - NEVER again. Admittedly I've not had cause to use my private cover so far, but it looks OK in the brochure

Dental - It's almost impossible to find an NHS dentist, at least in Cambridge. Have to pay for private care.

Pension - The will be NO state pension to speak of when I retire - my NI contributions are paying for the current generation of retirees, and fact is people are living too long for the system. So, a private pension plan is essential.

Unemployment - Have private cover for forced unemployment i.e. critical illness, injury etc. Otherwise, I know from experience that the Government isn't going to pay out enough to live on for even a month while job searching - but luckily there's no real shortage of jobs here in the south east.

If I thought for a moment that increased NI charges would transform the NHS into a service I would want to use, then that would be fine. I agree that even in its current state the NHS is an outstanding service compared with the free healthcare facilities in many other countries. That's not necessarily saying much, though.

Rob