The trim-piece-smaller-than-the-radio thing has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with security.

I would diasagree Tony and heres why:

The trim piece on my vehicle may look small but its actually part of a much bigger piece. Even if you could cut away the area around the radio, it mounts on screw/bolts from the side. Its not in a cage that can be pulled out. This means that the entire piece has to be taken off which would require a lot of cutting possibly even a power tool. A crow bar can be quite effective too. Even after taking off the rigid plastic surround, it may not be easy to get the screws off if you've replaced them with "special" screws. You know, the ones that can only be turned one way.

My point is that stereo's that mount from the front can often be pulled out just as easily through the front. The metal strap is usually not installed correctly or at all because some people are too lazy. Some radios only require a special shaped rod to disengage the radio from it's cage.

It all boils down to how determined a theif is and how much of a pain it is to get what he/she wants. If I were a theif I would certainly pass up a Toyota 4Runner for a Honda Accord anyday. I have been a victim once myself. These days my equipment is mounted very securely and I have a custom built security system.

Alex Lear