Even after taking off the rigid plastic surround, it may not be easy to get the screws off if you've replaced them with "special" screws.

All of that stuff is wonderful for frustrating the thief...

...AFTER he's already caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to your car. Honestly, the theft of the radio is the least of my worries in that situation. Hell, it's the easiest thing in the world to replace, assuming you're insured.

No, the hard part is replacing the window (the new one never fits quite right and you get leaks), getting all the broken glass out of your car (you never do, you keep finding bits of it), replacing the torn up dash (the repair people never quite get the new one in correctly and it squeaks and rattles), having to deal with the claims adjuster, having to be without a car while the repair is being done, the crushing depression of being victimized, etc.

I don't care how securely the radio is fastened to the dash, a thief will try to get it anyway. Usually in the most violent way possible (i.e., crowbar directly to the dash). Whether or not that try is successful is irrelevant. The results are the same. And there's no way for the thief to know whether or not it's going to be an easy grab just by looking at the fascia. There are other factors that'll make the thief skip your car, but the fascia isn't one of them.

So, I stand by my original statement: The Toyota fascia thing will not prevent or even discourage theft in any way.