Wow, interesting idea. If done correctly, it could also cover the hole in such a way as to help prevent a break-in.

Let me explain. For a while, my GTI had a full-pull-out CD player. I was able to find a cover plate to cover the hole left behind when I removed the stereo. It was a genuine VW part- it was the plastic piece that's used to cover the hole when they sell you a car without a radio in it.

I did this for a few years: Each time I got out of the car, I pulled the radio out and took it with me, covering the hole with this plate. Since all of my amp and speaker installation work was totally "stealth" (i.e., you couldn't see the speakers and amplifiers from outside the car), it looked like the car didn't have a radio at all. As far as a thief was concerned, there was nothing to steal, so my car was left alone.

It was only after replaced this stereo with a faceplate-removal model (I wanted anti-skip protection and they didn't make those in full-pull-outs any more) that I had my car vandalized. See, they break into the car anyway, looking to see if your faceplate or pull-out stereo is in the trunk or the glove box.

So the best stereo installation is the one that makes it look like there's no stereo at all.

Now, I don't foresee Empeg making storage boxes any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could find an existing car part that fit the bill. For instance, if you look at my new Honda, you'll see there's a little storage compartment that's almost the same size in my dash already. Perhaps that piece (or one like it from another vehicle) could be modified to slide into the empeg bay?