Tony: you think that might be a route an empeg could be recovered? (Rob's database, an order giving a serial #)

Well, I'm not saying it's Rob's responsibility or anything, or that he even has the ability to do anything in that situation. I'm just saying that if someone got their Empeg stolen and the thieves didn't take the sled, then the victim could call Rob and tell him the situation. Rob could then keep an ear open for sled orders, and see if any orders come in under names that aren't registered as owners. If one comes in, a simple ruse could get the thieves' phone number: "Our ordering computer is temporarily down. Can I get your phone number and call you back in five minutes when it's done rebooting?"

Rememer, this is only theoretical. And it would only work for a brief period in the very near future while the only empegs floating out in the market are the ones directly ordered from Empeg and the numbers aren't huge. Also, there are probably some e-bay buyers who haven't registered their names with Rob...

Of course, Rob probably has no desire to shoulder this kind of burden anyway...