Re: customsex
Understood. But in the context of this thread, and especially with your inclusion of the ever-popular phrase "you people," I think it's out of line.

You're entitled to your views, of course, but labeling anyone with a few beers in their fridge as "sad" and "almost pathetic" is an egregious rush to judgement. There *are* cases where alcohol consumption is sad and pathetic. I have two close family members (an uncle and a first cousin) who have battled alcoholism for most of their lives. THAT is, indeed, sad and pathetic, destroying families and lives. But putting anyone who enjoys a beer now and then in the same category as a true alcoholic is evidence that you don't really understand alcohol . Alcohol doesn't cause any societal ills, but alcohol abuse does. Unless you know that someone has an alcohol problem, I think you're painting with a broad brush if you consider them to be sad and pathetic just because they don't completely abstain from consumption.

Re: dignan
As for drinking and driving, it should go without saying, but I have no tolerance for that. Anyone who thinks it's okay to put their life and the lives of others in danger is a despicable human being, and anyone who lets a friend drink and drive (or who abandons someone who's had too many) is just as despicable.