Plugging in the iPod means dropping it into a cradle mounted in your car. No more difficult than putting the face onto an aftermarket HU.

What the iPod and Ice-Link buy you is the freedom/clarity of not using a tape-based adapter (not to mention some HU's don't have TAPE), nor using an FM transmitter, nor needing any silly cigrarette lighter adapters for power. Plus not having to touch the iPod to navigate your music.

It's got the Phatbox solution beat hands down. It's not comparable to the empeg with a true remote display, nor having one installed in your dash.

It's one step closer to what I consider the ultimate portable/car audio MP3 solution - a small portable unit that can be docked inside a regular-looking, in-dash, DIN-sized car dock. Perhaps with an alternate interface to connect via standard HU as mentioned above and with a home dock to match this can be made to provide the best of all worlds. Sell it all in a modular fashion. Dension's latest player is getting close, but it's not exactly what I'm after. I'm still looking for something that is as polished as the iPod (or Karma) when used on its own, and as polished as the empeg when docked.

Bruno