In reply to:

Remember, we are only working with the player databases, not the MP3 files or their tags.

This answers most of my questions except for two nagging issue i cannot grasp.

Tony, you said you have files on your empeg, files on your central and files on your hard drive that are all synced. OK, so I copy a CD with the Central, there are no RID's in the Central's database at this point. So, to get RID's added the empeg database I would move the files via Jemplode so it would add the RID's on download from the Central?

But the Central has no RID field in the comments at this point. I guess that you have to rerun riorid.jar each time you add files to the Central?

After these files are coded in the database properly then you place the files on the hard drive manually using the same directory tree.

When you had a file on the hard drive that you wanted moved over to the empeg and Central, you would copy first to the files to the empeg via jEmplode therefore adding RID's then copy the file to the Central then run riorid.jar to get the RID's synced?

In reply to:

Example 1:
- I run Jemplode.
- In Jemplode I open the Central and then also open the Empeg.
- I copy playlists back and forth between the two devices.
- Rids are used to decide whether just the playlist entry needs to be copied, or if it needs to copy the song file, too.

Are you deciding if the playlist entry needs to be copied manually by looking at the database fields when copying files from the empeg to the Central?

Sorry for all the questions but I really like the ability of syncing all my devices, just want to know how...
Sean in NC

80gb MK2a empeg spare