Right, I've got a little more time to reply to this fully.

First of all, rsync has two distinct modes of operation. In one mode you set one host up as an rsync server, so that rsync is always running and listening on port 873. In the other mode you simply install rsync on each host and when you run rsync it connects to the remote host using a shell (telnet, rsh or ssh) and runs the remote copy of rsync that way.

I have never set rsync up as a server on either Windows or Linux, so I can't help much on that side of things. In many cases however you don't want rsync set up as a server, as it has a couple of drawbacks. The first is that there is more setup to do, especcially on Windows. The second is that you rsync can't communicate securely in server mode, if you want secure comms you need to use the shell mode and ssh.

However, in this case you probably aren't too worried about security and using a shell is complicated because the empeg doesn't ship with telnet or ssh.

So I think you are best advised to follow the instuctions Roger has just posted for getting rsync running in server mode on your empeg.

[ ILQUEN HQ ] G:\P\cwrsync>rsync -v -r -t --delete --force --stats --progress 10.10.1.108::/drive0 g:\taympeg-backup\drive0
ERROR: The remote path must start with a module name not a /
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1062)

[ ILQUEN HQ ] G:\P\cwrsync>rsync -v -r -t --delete --force --stats --progress rsync://10.10.1.108::/drive0 g:\taympeg-backup\drive0
rsync: failed to connect to 10.10.1.108: Cannot assign requested address
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(88)

Looks like you are getting the source format slightly wrong. I think what you are missing is that when using an rsync server you don't add a "/" to the front of the path. So when you say "rsync://10.10.1.108::/drive0" I think you should be saying "rsync://10.10.1.108::drive0", but I don't use rsync in server mode so I just guessing from reading the rsync man page.