I responded to your email to most of these, but I maybe wasn't clear on one part:

In reply to:

How come music I'd uploaded with emptool had NO soup data when downloaded to Jemplode, yet when the same music is uploaded via Jemplode and the database later downloaded back again, the soup data IS there? Where is it stored differently by those 2 programs and why on earth would they do it differently.

There are two types of soups in jEmplode -- in-jEmplode and on-device. The in-jEmplode soups will ONLY appear in jEmplode and are not stored on your Empeg. The on-device soups are stored on your Empeg as playlists with a special tag that jEmplode understands. I'm assuming this is the kind you're referring to. The reason the programs do it differently is because Emptool doesn't do it at all. Soups on the Empeg are not actually supported. What you're seeing is some trickery by jEmplode to magically create playlists for your tunes that look like soups. One notable difference in the newest versions is that the old version supported going back and forth between jEmplode and Emplode (or emptool I suppose) and it would keep the soup playlists up to date. The newest version removed that and it will only keep soups up to date for tunes that were actually uploaded w/ jEmplode (it /may/ get new files, but it won't remove old ones).

ms