I didn't mean not able to have other playlists. But a lot of effort has gone into correctly tagging my mp3s and to have to re-create all that in order for basic artist/album type playlists is a non starter.

Basically I want it like iTunes. Drag songs into iTunes and they get displayed according to the tag data and you can then add other groupings as your own playlists - ideal. If you want, it will even keep the directory structure up to date as well.

Not that its perfect. Right now I can't get it to work with symbolic links. It won't import a directory of symlinks to real mp3s, but it WILL do it if the symlinks point to AAC files. But in that case it doesn't get their ID3 tag data, so it is not correctly resolving symlinks, which quite frankly is pants. I'll try it with Mac aliases and see.

As for why I want to use emptool, I want to bulk upload directly from the linux machine which stores the mp3s directly to the empeg. Firstly to avoid the double hop upload if I do it via (J)Emplode on the Mac or Wintel and also it's less likely to go wrong. There's 1000 albums of mp3s and I'd rather it all went in one go and no problems half way through. Also I have 2 empegs, so I will need to do it all twice.

For later updates though I'll undoubtedly use Jemplode.