There was a certain year that I wanted to go to Amersfoort, but I was still worried about flying in the wake of 9/11, as well as basically hating the whole flying experience from prior poor treatment by airlines, so I allowed various commitments at home to override my desire to go, and we just didn't get the ducks in a row to be able to go that year.

The following year, I realized that all of the above was a bit silly and that it was worth it to make the effort to go. I'm so very glad I did. We made it into a family Europe trip and it was great. But I would have been happy even if I'd only gone to Amersfoort and done nothing else.

So, having been in your shoes at one time, I can offer some advice from that perspective.

The main thing I want to impart is that it turns out that the flying part of it is the least of the difficulties. It was actually a relief to get onto the plane and underway. Much more traumatic is the experience of scheduling the trip, working with the travel agent on the details (you may not have that part of it if you're merely flying to amersfoort and back), getting to the airport on time, getting to the terminal on time after the entire parking/trek to the terminal/checkin/baggage ordeal, getting through security without an anal probe, et cetera. If that stuff doesn't scare you, then the flight is a cake walk compared to that.

Another thing to consider is that traveling like that is EASIER, by far, to do alone. My Amersfoort excursion was done with my family, and although I love them dearly, the logistics of trying to travel together simply complicates matters. Airports and baggage and security and even simple things like getting a meal at the airport are much easier when you're alone.

For what it's worth.