Quote:

Yes, in /empeg/lib/fonts. You should be able to reverse-engineer the format from vfdlib.c which is included in the emphatic source.

Cool. That will take at least some of the tedium out of it.

Quote:

8 characters, huh?

I only have one display at the moment, but there is room for 2 or 3 of them. I'm getting a PCB fabbed which will hold 2 and some LEDs. (This is intended to be more than just an empeg display.) Additionally, there is the built-in computer (seen here) which currently displays the radio station / cd track from the stock head unit. There's another 40 x 40 pixels or so there, if I get around to reverse-engineering the display protocol. It looks as if it may just be a big shift register, but I haven't hooked it up to a logic analyzer yet.

But in any event, I actually think 8 characters could be made to work. As long as I can navigate the menus (specifically the playlist tree) well enough I don't care if I can view all of the information on the empeg display. I didn't tend to look at it much when it was in the dash of my previous car, just enough to select the playlist I wanted.
I could rename all playlists to be 8 characters or less. Track title and artist are only occasionally needed, I think -- in most cases I already know what I'm listening to.