Quote:
...make these sensible decisions.

The funny thing is, I am pretty anti-smoking but don't agree with an outright ban, for four reasons.

Firstly, justifying a ban solely on the basis of some questionable analysis and some questionable scientific evidence isn't the way to do it, in my opinion.

Secondly, I think that businesses should have the option of installing air filtration systems that have been designed and certified to guarantee a certain standard of clean, fresh air. Sure, such systems would likely be expensive, but businesses should be allowed to make the choice on business grounds (taking into consideration environmental, health, safety and insurance considerations).

Thirdly, I am concerned about the justification of benefits to the NHS. I can't help but think that a self-inflicted ill health tax (covering alcohol, cigarettes, obesity and the like) can't be too far away.

Finally, if cigarettes are so dangerous (and I think they are), surely the correct thing to do is to make them a Class C drug and allow only registered addicts to purchase them in pharmacies just like other controlled (non-prescription) medicines? Or create a new class (D) and do the same.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741