Quote:
I read the service manual (found the PDF online) and it turns out that they're deliberately defocusing the blue gun. It's fuzzy by design.

Freeze right there. Don't touch the blue gun focus. Trust me on this one. I know it's tempting. I've been there.

Yes the blue gun is fuzzier than the other two. Yes it's possible to make it sharper than the factory focus. I did this myself: I thought I'd be all cool and make the blue gun on my Mits sharper. It was easy to do, I did it, it worked.

But here's what happened, and I didn't realize this is what had happened until I had a pro come in and fix it for me...

When you sharpen that blue gun, you're not just changing its focus. You're also changing the actual color output. The lines on your test pattern go from a pure blue to a sort of a cyan color. And suddenly everything on the screen looks greenish. And you start messing with the color controls, and since you're working from a bad color base to begin with, you just get things farther and farther out of wack. And now the only solution is to have an experienced professional with calibrated equipment (colorimeter and such) come in and put it all back to spec for you... Starting with step number one of putting that blue gun's focus back to where it belongs...

This also counts, to a lesser degree, for the red and green guns. My advice to you: Don't touch the gun focus. Ever.