Quote:
Perhaps you could tell us what you're trying to accomplish in the end? There are quite a few tools available that perhaps could be adapted to suit your needs more easily than building something from the ground up.

OK.

I use solely iTunes to encode, maintain and control my music with the actual music data located on a linux server (a shared volume of). I then run a perl script (nightly) that reads the iTunes XML backup file and stores the relevant info in dbm files (actually uses DB_File) and this can be read and used by apache and some perl cgi scripts acting as the music server to several Rio Receivers around the house. Oh and I also use iTunes itself to play the music in my study/office.

So anything I do in iTunes is automatically available the following day in all the Rios (or earlier if I manually run the update) and it works perfectly.

Now I want to turn my hand to syncing the RioCar/empeg with the exact same music info (data and playlists) so that it all becomes a fully rounded iTunes/Rio music system solution, for me and anyone else who realises the benefits of using iTunes as their main control point.

None of the emplode type products comes close to doing what I want and are extraordinarily slow at doing what they can do. So I want to create a local fids structure and then use rsync.

Ah, "mp3tofid" I hear you say. Close, but no cigar. Very close in fact, but mp3tofid has to read the ID3 tags to get the data and I already have everything I need in the dbm databases, as well as the exact playlists I want to upload, which are already created and stored for use by the Rio Receivers. Actually writing the fids data will be relatively trivial and very fast, once I know what I need to write - hence my questions here.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not a C programmer so trying to read C source files is a right PIA and in some cases I simply cannot make any sense out of them at all. Likewise trying to glean the file structures from sample files is also a non trivial task and prone to errors.

For these reasons I ask if there is any usable written definitions of these file formats to help me. Failing that I need to ask questions, but will ensure that the results of my quest are written up and made availabale for others.

However, in the meantime, I still need to know more about these files.