Quote:
Quote:
What about a nice graphic while syncing? Is it even possible to do this from the command line?

pim's rsync binary[/url] supports a graphic progress indicator with the --empeg-progess switch. Do a forum search for mp3tofid and rsync and you'll find a script for handling the sync situation properly with respect to mounting drives, etc.

That's the rsync I'm using, but there are a couple of problems.

mp3tofid runs the empeg as the client and the linux server (with the music on) as the rsync server and although that's an option I'm exploring, I'm not getting any progress indication. I am capturing output of the rsync process so I can report on the outcome.

Would that prevent the indicator from working?

I did notice that there's a libresolv alongside the modified rsync, but as it already existed on the empeg I didn't install it.

Is that a different version required for the indicator to work? Pim?

The other issue is that I really want the empeg to be the rsync server (i.e. rsync running as a daemon) and control it all from the (linux) music server and if rsync is the server...

Would the progress indicator patch still work?

I suspect not.

I have been exploring the use of hijack's popup feature, but can't make that work either. I've tried a site exec via ftp or echo directly from the command line (via telnet) - the former returns an error and the latter does nothing.

What configuration is required to make hijack do this?

I've got [output]notify=1 in config.ini and I can read /proc/empeg_notify, but writing to it still does nothing. In desperation I added [input]notify=1 (seemed a logical idea:-), but that made no difference either.

I want to get the popup messaging working anyway, but ideally a graphic would be better during the transfer.

Can I somehow force a graphic to display?

As for setting the rw/ro etc, it's not a problem basically figuring when to do what, the problem is that rsync can cause the ro operation to fail (hanging onto a file probably) and that's what can be a disaster. Pim doesn't use a log or pid file on the empeg (in mp3tofid it's the client not the server). I wanted to make use of those files and indeed Roger uses them in his example of an empeg as an rsync server, but I have discovered this 'ro fail' problem. As I said, I need to play with rsync some more to ensure it does what it's supposed to do.