Quote:
What's so bad about having rsync run on the empeg as the client? Sounds like someone already solved 90% of the problem, and you're tossing that aside and inventing a new problem, but in the opposite direction. What needs are not met by having rsync do a "pull" from your music server instead of having the music server "push" files to rsyncd on the empeg?

What I am doing here with rsync is merely part of a larger overall project that ties up an iTunes controlled music collection and makes it available to networked Rio Receivers and also can be easily sync'd to a RioCar/empeg. The basic concept is that all this is controlled on the main server (or with iTunes of course) and shouldn't involve messing around on the empeg itself - just connect it and tell the music server to sync, exactly as (j)Emplode do not expect/require any such interaction with the empeg itself.

Not only that, but Roger has implemented an rsync server on an empeg so I'm not the first to to attempt this.

You might imagine from this that what I am doing here is not the same as mp3tofid, e.g. I do NOT read the mp3 tags or the file folder structure that contains the mp3s. I have it all in the relevant databases and is much faster as a result. Hence mp3tofid provides somewhat less than the 90% you propose.

In any case, the problems I currently have are not really related to whether I'm pushing or pulling the data.

I'd like to get to the bottom of why the hacked rsync still doesn't display progress info.

Should I quit the player first? mp3tofid doesn't, but from what I've read it would appear to be a good idea. How can I do that without it re-starting?

I can't get hijack to popup messages. I've copied and pasted Mark's commands but it doesn't work. What else might need doing to enable this?

Is there any way to display a graphic on the empeg's display, i.e. just from the command line?

These are all issues that will help me to tidy up and tweak the UI of my stuff and help in sorting these issues would be much appreciated.