Quote:
Here's the problems that are holding me back:
* Reports of black paint peeling

I saw that. If you look into it, it is actually one report of paint peeling, with the same photo over and over and over on a million websites all referring to the same guy at an apple store with a cameraphone. I think it is nonsense, find me two different photos of this.

Quote:
* Reports of overheating (Apple should have concentrated on this since MacBook Pro)

I read a few of those reviews. The Arstechnica Review has a guy running his Macbook at apparantly over 80 degrees C where it clocks itself down a few MHz - that is pretty ridiculous. Mine has not got so hot. When browsing and doing my daily messing about the laptop is very cool, not even warm (like right now). I was watching the last episodes of Lost and 24 the other day over WiFi while running Parallels Workstation which was installing Ubuntu in a window in the background... it did get very hot. About as hot as my Powerbook G4 on full tilt, a little bit hotter than my old Sony Vaio (except that one had a crazy loud fan which would shift into VTEC mode in those situations). If it is working hard, you don't want it on your lap. Is there any decently fast laptop around where this isn't the case? That is the question.

Quote:
* A video I saw of the fans cycling on and off infinitely while the CPU was idling. (Completely unacceptable since the X200 is silent)

Not quite on idle. On idle (as I'm typing this), fans are off, there is no noise. In fact, fans have not been on in the past hour or two. Note: I am in England, it is late, central heating has gone off and ambient temp is around 18-19 degrees at a guess. I am in bed though, so that might add a degree or so. If I watch a DivX, the fans do that cycling thing, on-off-on-off. It sucks and makes a Mooing noise like a tiny cow is trapped in there. It makes me use my headphones. I expect a EFI Firmware update to fix this.

Quote:
* $200 more for 20GB up space plus a black case? (white is not an option)

Actually, white is an option :P White is cool, because it means I have an extra $200 in my pocket. Black looks marginally better, but I really didn't give it a second thought once I saw the price difference. It is just silly. Maybe I'm used to mine now, but I have zero black Macbook envy, I've grown to like the white.

Quote:
* 1 mouse button. Since I plan to dual-boot Windows, this will be a bit annoying.

I found an app which 'switches the mouse buttons when you press the Apple key', which means Apple-Click becomes right click. Works well. Can't remember exactly where it came from, I suppose I could find it again if someone wanted. Thats the best compromise I found.

Quote:
* I find the lack of a card slot slightly odd. A PCMCIA card is more likely to sit flush with the laptop's case when a future peripheral comes out. USB dongles sitcking out is stupid.

PCMCIA is so '90s. Who needs data cards when there is Bluetooth. Sure card readers are neater but use USB, they are only really plugged in for a few seconds at a time, so get over it. Unless you're after SCSI, or some custom niche funky peripheral, PCMCIA is so dead.

That lot should really go in the 'Macbook' thread, but meh, I've typed it now. Also to note, even though I was wary of the keyboard to start with - I love it now! It is great with a little bit of practice and feels so nice. I swear I can type faster than on the Powerbook, and it feels just as good. First impressions are not everything.