Wired networking works at 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps, it doesn't have in-between speeds like wireless.

The Rio Receiver can only works when connected to a 10 Mbps wired network connection. Fortunately wired networks that support 100 Mbps also tend to support 10 Mbps, meaning that in theory the Rio Receiver should work with most wired networking kit.

Unfortunately there is another problem though. Modern 10/100 wired network switches do some clever stuff when a device is first plugged into them, to work out what speed and other settings the device needs. This can upset the Rio Receiver, leaving it with a non working network connection.

The solution to this problem is to put an old dump 10 Mbps hub between the Rio Receiver and the 10/100 network. This is what Tony was talking about with the daisy chaining.

It works not because it is slowing the network connection down, but because it is replacing the clever 10/100 port on the wireless bridge that confuse the Rio with a dump 10 Mbps hub that doesn't confuse it.

Unfortunately this approach isn't guaranteed to fix the problem (I have a wireless bridge that my Receivers won't work with even with a 10 Mbps hub in place).