I got the TIme Capsule about an hour ago and so far I'm finding some troubling details about its features. Or rather lack of features.

It's missing some pretty basic networking features, such as:

Can't set a specific local IP address for the router.
You can pick three IP ranges, but the address of the router is always xxx.xxx.1.1
Another "Router IP" address is always xx.xx.xx.1 based on the DHCP address assigned by the cable modem/ISP.

No way to assign static IP addresses to devices on the LAN. Solution for this found.
I've seen people mention in forums that either there's no good reason to use static addresses (frigtards all of them) or that you're supposed to set the IP address on the devices themselves (that's absolutely lame).

With regards to the last item above, setting up a static address on my notebook for example will cause the network connection to break if I ever take my machine somewhere else. That's because the TCP/IP settings are done on an interface level, not network level. Which means that a static setting will apply to all networks using the WiFi interface. To get around this I'd have to make a new interface profile and remember to switch to it MANUALLY every time I'm outside my home network.

UPDATED: PHEW! At least the Static address problem seems to be solved. Looks like the current Airport Admin software includes "DHCP Reservations" which is the UI for assigning static IP based on MAC.

I saw that UI element as I was flipping through tabs and made a mental note to check it out (as a possible static assignment) but then forgot about it as I was looking into the other features/issues.

Edited by hybrid8 (18/03/2009 14:10)