Tacking on an additional series of questions to the original topic...

The AirPort Admin software has no UI for checking your network's bandwidth usage, but that facility is something I rather need because our cable internet has a fixed monthly cap. It has logging, but it's what you'd expect from a network log, with all kinds of port and connection data just dumped as text down a page.

Using the Tomato firmware on my Linksys router I have it logging bandwidth statistics to my always-on media server via CIFS. Tomato has a UI to display bandwidth usage in a number of different ways, including by month, daily, weekly, by connection, etc.

At minimum I need a way to track the usage by month. I don't really know anything about SNMP, but I do know the Airport products have a check-box to enable it (on by default). It can also save syslogs to a remote client.

Will this data be suitable for analysis and construction of the usage reports I need? I've found some SNMP monitoring and graphing software on the net such as PRTG Network Monitor and PRTG Router Traffic Grapher

They both look like a little overkill, but at least they're free. As long as they don't take up too much CPU while running, I don't have a problem installing them on my Windows-based media system.

If anyone can provide any more information about monitoring this network connection, I'm all ears. Including any suggestions for simpler applications that may suit my needs.

I just found Byte-o-Meter which looks a little less intimidating. Of course I still need to find out if these are gong to work at all. wink

Edited by hybrid8 (18/03/2009 17:45)