Originally Posted By: drakino
If it was user accessible like the last model unibody 13 inch MacBook, it would be a smaller capacity battery.

Yeah, I'm just not buying that any more.

Mostly due to needing to isolate the battery compartment from the rest of the machine to ensure people don't damage the mainboard.

There already is such a separator.

The casing on the battery would also likely need to be thicker to ensure it is not punctured easily while stored in a laptop bag, once again trimming back space that could be used for storing energy.

Maybe. Then again, if one of the sides was the bottom cover, you'd regain some space. And the new connector seems to take up at least as much space as a contact connector would.

Apple has their batteries custom engineered for their machines, and they pack them as full as they can.

So they could reduce the battery by 1% to accomodate that stuff and only lose like 4 minutes. That's well within the margin of error on those estimates.

Honestly, I really feel like Apple has an ulterior motive with this non-removable battery thing.

On their MacBook Pro page they even have a battery video to show the difference.

Apparently because I have Quicktime 7.6.0 instead of 7.6.2, I can't watch that video. And I don't really feel like rebooting to bother. (I really don't understand why upgrading Quicktime necessitates a reboot.)