Originally Posted By: tfabris
But the more I think about my experiences with various Linux distros, the more I realize that part of what I prefer about windows is its "feel". I just like the way the Windows GUI "feels".

I have the exact opposite problem. I despise how Windows "feels". It does everything wrong. I spend inordinate amounts of time getting Windows to do things properly.

For one thing, you have to use the GUI for everything. I've spent a few weeks trying to do some basic command-line scripting of some stuff for automated installations and, while I'm surprised to find that I actually can do almost anything from the command line, it has hardened my feeling that Windows is a motley hodgepodge. You know how when you configure stuff in Windows and two things that seem related have their checkboxes in totally different configuration panels? It's the same way for the command line utilities. Everything is its own little world.

dsquery.exe to find domain usernames
devcon.exe to "safely remove hardware"
msiexec.exe to uninstall a program
netdom.exe to join a domain
netdom.exe to rename the computer if it's in a domain
wmic.exe to rename the computer if it's not in a domain
net.exe to modify the local groups
reg.exe to modify the registry
schtasks.exe to edit the scheduler

And, of course, many of these commands aren't included on the OS disc, much less installed by default.

I can have the Scheduler run a program at boot time, pre-login, and I can have the Scheduler run a program only one time. But I can't have it run once pre-login. Or I can edit a registry key to have Windows run a program on each boot or only once, but it will only be run post-login. Or I can set up a service to run a program on each boot. So I had to schedule a program to run once at boot, and have it be a batch file that removes the scheduled task and then does what I wanted to do in the first place.

Autologins can be set up with some registry values under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\". Virtually everything else is under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\". There's an associated "DefaultDomain" value that's documented, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. Instead, you have to put the domain in the "DefaultUserName" value. And let's not ignore that registry folders are called "keys", keys are called "values", and values are called "data".

If I join a domain using the GUI, I can change the hostname at the same time. When you do this with the command line tools, you have to join the domain with netdom.exe, then change the name with netdom.exe. If you try to do the more logical thing of changing the computer name first, netdom.exe won't let you do it because the computer's not in the domain, but if you use wmic.exe, the name change doesn't take effect until reboot, which means if you then join the domain without rebooting, you join as the old name.

And wmic.exe seems to do a lot of stuff, but I've never seen anyone recommend it for anything else. I guess it's just a shell interface to management APIs. Maybe it's the unifying command I'm looking for.

Of course, Unix is this way, too, except everything usually involves editing a text file. But Unix is up-front about being a collection of utilities, while Windows pretends that it's all unified. I guess my problem is more with the overlap than with the separateness.